empowerment through critical reading and writing
"Life can only be understood backwards. In the meantime, it has to be lived forward”.

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Finding Voice

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mary

I love my book, the lion book* Whenever I’m depressed or sad, when I think of my mother or my children I read it and it makes me laugh. This is a funny lion, like when he says: “I like the word hunter. I’ll go get me a hunter”. And if somebody asks me who I am laughing at, I say I am not laughing at anybody; I’m laughing at the lion.
I read over and over the parts that I already know, and when I get to a word that I don’t know, I just skip over it.
Sometimes I ask someone to read with me but they always say they’re busy, or they pretend they’re busy. Today I have this half cup of coffee. I think I will give it to Joan. Maybe she will read with me in return for the coffee. Or I can try and catch her when she is smoking a cigarette outside. Maybe then she'll read with me.
*Lefcadio/Shel Silverstien.