empowerment through critical reading and writing
"Life can only be understood backwards. In the meantime, it has to be lived forward”.

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Finding Voice

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Annette - I chose to take a picture of an abandoned house


I chose to take a picture of an abandoned house
because two years ago when I was drinking,
I lived in an abandoned house.
I had abandoned myself and my life.
I didn’t care where I lived.
All I needed was to drink.

A guy named Dave let me stay
he wanted sex,
I didn’t.
He got mad and threw me out.
I was on the street again.

You can’t go any lower
than getting kicked out of an abandoned house.
Now, I can laugh about it,
Then, I hit rock bottom.

I asked God for help.

I also took a picture of Glory House.
It is my sanctuary,
my safe house,
my home for now,
my home away from home.
I am safe,
I have a warm bed,
I can trust everybody.
I can call if I fall.

I don’t want to remember
that other part of my life,
but I have to so I can remain sober!