empowerment through critical reading and writing
"Life can only be understood backwards. In the meantime, it has to be lived forward”.

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Finding Voice

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Am From/ Adarienne Laing

I am from the 7th wonder
Six before me
I grew up in a small village
That is called Freeport
Where the sidewalks were made
Out of beads of different shells

Where other people call it
Their beach, Jones beach or Long beach
We had the most beautiful waterfall
On the other side of the railroad tracks.
We call it shady brook – that’s our beach,
our spot for the family.

Still a little girl and happy
It’s not a month that don’t go by
I was a Betty Crocker to Patty Play Pal
To Shirley Temple.
From my 4th older brother
Who is stationed in the Air Force.

I came from a father who worked
And a mother who stayed at home.
When the weekend rolled around
The house became a jam session.
Drinking and liquor – they never had to worry
The next morning cleaning up
I was the human vacuum cleaner.
As the years went on
The pains tears, sorrows
The fun, love laughter
Went out the windows.

I am from the most beautiful mother and father
Who raised 7 children
From the table to the garage
If there is nobody can say they’ve been in Hell
I am the eyewitness
I am FREE.